Kent 2-0 Middlesex

SEESFA London Cup, Group 1

The Middlesex Schools’ FA Under-15 squad fought bravely in difficult conditions but went down 2-0 against last season’s regional champions, Kent.

The home side started brightly and caused Middlesex problems from the kick off. It took two superb saves from debut keeper Dawid Chiomaniwicz to keep the score level but he couldn’t stop Kent taking the lead when the ball took a wicked deflection into the net after twenty minutes. Middlesex worked tirelessly in midfield spurred on by skipper Charlie Quinnell but found it difficult to get any rhythm going in near gale force winds and driving rain. On the half hour, Kent struck again with a shot from the edge of the box to increase the lead and end the half with a two goal advantage.

Middlesex rallied and came out fighting in the second half. Freddie Scarborough and Harry Hetherington were introduced to shore up the midfield and Middlesex started to press Kent more and gain possession higher up the pitch. Winger Toby Gould smashed a spectacular volley towards the top corner only for the Kent keeper to tip his effort around the post.

By now, the match was end to end stuff as both teams battled to get the decisive goal. Middlesex’s defense of Sullivan, Salvaradsou, Adjei and Oppong – Waife defended superbly. It looked like only a matter of time before Middlesex would score and in the move of the game a superb passing move saw Keiano Josephs released down the right wing. Josephs outpaced the defense and drove to the line, cutting the ball back across goal where Cai Burrows volley skimmed the top of the bar. Middlesex were now in the ascendency but couldn’t find the net and the game ended 2-0. Middlesex coach, Aylward Academy PE teacher Scott Harneiss commented: "The conditions in the first half were very difficult for our boys to get the ball down and play. In the second half they did themselves proud. We were more organised, looked after the ball better in midfield and created several chances. The boys are obviously disappointed with the result but the second half has given us reasons to be upbeat and positive going into our next game against Surrey.”

The Under-15 Squad v Kent